Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Benefit Org

We need to choose the benefiting community for this first event. I've done a lot of research on organizations in the valley. One that I think is the best fit for our event is Alice Cooper's "Solid Rock" teen center.

The Rock "will provide after-school computers, reading, music, and other educationally needed programs along with sports and recreational activities...The Rock will cultivate a love of the arts, like musical instruments, voice, drama, and dance, to inspire and challenge kids to choose artistic excellence. There will be programs that teach teens about sound board mixing, lighting, staging and production."

http://www.projectunicorn.com/therock
http://www.therockteencenter.com/

Not only will it be a good fit since the purpose is to inspire artistic excellence, but we may have an opportunity to get extra publicity to promote the event.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea.

    The only thing I am thinking of is supporters and sponsors. I think a lot more people may be interested to sponsor and support a more "Noble" cause like cancer research or AIDS research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be the first to say this, but I am not a fan of charity events. The main reason is that most charities only have to give 10 percent of their profits to the actual charities... so whatever one you choose, please try and assess how much of your hard earned money is really going to the ultimate cause and not just lining their pockets. I would much rather just straight up give the money to a source in need, like buying a school some new gear or something way more direct. That's just my 2 cents though.. The Alice Cooper one gets my vote if you're sticking to the whole charity thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Ryan's point, I think it's good also to consider other more "noble" causes. However, there is a lot to choose from. We're open to suggestions, but we need to do our homework for any benefiting community we choose.

    Dave has a good point too. All the more reason to really know details about the benefiting community. The benefiting community does not have to be a charity; we could use the money to donate stuff directly like Dave said.

    One thing to remember is that the purpose of the project is to be inspired and connected. Giving to a benefiting community is just so we are able to give back what we have been given to a good cause and to have a clear understanding with all those participating and attending that no one is getting paid from doing this project (i.e. not for profit).

    ReplyDelete